Patience, focus, and balance are some things that yoga teaches. Handstand pose is one of the toughest yoga Asanas because a person has to balance the weight of the body upside down with the help of the palms fixed on the floor. The fear of falling is a major challenge, and the pose helps in overcoming it.
It is a very challenging pose where the entire weight of your body is shifted to your hands. It is known as Adho Mukha Vrksasana in Sanskrit. It is an advanced level of Hatha Yoga.
How To Perform The Pose
- Start with the downward dog position and initially use a wall as the support to rising upside down. If you are practicing with the help of wall support, keep your hands about six inches away from the wall.
- Keep your shoulders over your wrists and start walking towards your hands as much as you can. Bend knee of one leg that is comfortable for you and lift the foot of the other leg in the air off the floor.
- As you place the leg that lifts on the wall for support, wait for a while, and breathe. Gently lift up the other leg. As both the legs are up on the wall, engage your abdominal muscles that will help you lift your hips over your shoulder.
- Stay in the pose for 15- 30 seconds, breathe deeply, and gradually increase the time with more practice. As you come down, bring the legs down one by one and do not sink on to the shoulders. Regular practice is important so that you master the asana gradually.
- It helps in strengthening the shoulders, arms, wrist, and helps in toning the abdomen area.
- It helps in improving body balance and stability.
- It helps in building confidence, improves concentration, and focus.
- It helps in breaking knots and tension by improving the blood circulation throughout the body.
- It is known to relieve stress, prevent mild depression, and rejuvenate the mind.
Mistakes And Contradictions
There are some situations when it is advisable not to perform the pose. It is recommended to avoid the pose in case of back, shoulder, or neck injury. Always perform the asana on an empty stomach. It is not good for people suffering from a heart condition, high blood pressure, or during menstruation. Do not start learning the pose after pregnancy if you have not done it before.
How To Perform Perfectly
It is an advanced level and extremely challenging pose which takes time to master. As a beginner, you will need wall support to perform the pose. It might also be hard to straighten the elbows during the initial practice of the pose. However, you can use a strap to straighten the elbow. Keep your shoulders width apart so that you are able to stretch out your arms. Always perform it wearing comfortable clothes, like yoga shorts, and use a wall as a support to lift yourself up.